My credit card was recently compromised, which luckily my credit card company caught in time.
They called and asked if I had made some strange transactions. When I answered that those were in fact not my transactions, they immediately deactivated that credit card and sent me a new one by FedEx overnight express.
Problem solved, right?
Well, after I updated all my online bills with the new credit card number I thought everything was taken care of. Then I went to reconcile my accounts in Quicken and was informed by Quicken that it couldn’t connect to my credit card account.
How to resolve this problem?
I tried resetting the account as prompted by Quicken, but that did not solve the problem.
Then I came across this solution. The problem with connecting to my credit card account was caused by Quicken having a different credit card number than the credit card company.
In order to keep the same account, but change the credit card number associated with it, you have to deactivate and reactivate One Step Update for that account.
This is a simple procedure that only takes a few minutes. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Account List (Press Ctrl+A or look in the Tools menu)
- Find the credit card account and click “Edit”
- Click on the Online Services tab of the Account Detail window and click the deactivate button
- On the General tab, delete the account number and enter the new account number
- On the Online Services tab, reactivate One Step Update
- When prompted, make sure to choose “Link” instead of “Add” and choose the correct account listed in Quicken
Using these steps saved me a lot of frustration when I had to update my credit card number, but keep the same credit card account in Quicken. Everything worked flawlessly and I was able to continue downloading transactions to the correct credit card account.
I hope this short article proves helpful to others who have run into the same problem with a changed credit card number.
Thanks for visiting this site. If you found the article useful, feel free to share with others and/or leave a comment below.